Pages

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Tag Blankies

My sister is having a baby, a little girl who was due on December 23rd but is being a little Diva and making everyone wait for her.  My sister has two boys and a girl and this little Diva will even things out and make it two boys and two girls.  I have three boys and have always wanted a girl so I am loving shopping for this little baby girl.  

Now, knowing that I am going to be a foster parent to a little girl, I feel like I get to be a huge part of this pregnancy and it is kinda sorta like I am having a baby too....just not having to go through labor (score!!!).  

I have been scouring blogs and pinterest looking at all kinds of baby girl nurseries and clothing.  All of this planning and I was so eager to start somewhere.  I know that this is a foster blog but me being me, it is going to be a little bit of a mixture of foster and crafting blog.  

I started my first project today and wanted to share it with the world.  

This was the start to the Tag Blankie...




I cut out a square 10x10 inches in this adorable flowery PINK fabric.....love the pink :)




Then I cut out two 3.5x10 inch strips and then cut two 3.5x16 inch strips for the sides of the square.


This is just a picture showing me cutting the strips for the sides.


Then I sewed the strips on to the square....while talking to my sister on Skype as she timed her contractions.


After sewing the shorter strips on each side of the square, I ironed the sides down as shown in the picture above.


The front view of my project.


Then I sewed on the longer two strips as shown above.


Again, I ironed the sides down and then I cut the sides to where all of the sides were even in size to the square.


At this point, I cut down 29 pieces of ribbons.  I used seven different kinds and cut down four of each....all except this one below...


Love you to pieces

Too cute and I had to add it to the blankie because no matter who gets this blankie, I will love them to pieces.


Then comes the fun part, sewing on the ribbons.


I am OCD and had to have all of my ribbons in order and I set them up before hand so everything was nice and organized.


Here are all of the ribbons after being sewn on the blankie.


Now I pinned the square to a piece of Minky fabric to prepare for sewing.


Here is the result of my pinned down Minky fabric which was turned right side in.


Now it was time to sew the fabric together.


I sewed right below the first stitch.


Now it's time to turn the fabric around.


After turning the fabric around, I sewed along the first square to attach the two fabrics just because I didn't like the way the fabrics were separated.  


This is what the finished product looked like.  I LOVE this tag blankie and can't wait till some little cutie pie is loving on it too!!!


This is the back of the blankie


A close up of the square sewed onto the back.


I loved these tag blankies so much that I made three of them today and told my sister that she gets the pick of the litter (hehe) and she is still trying to make up her mind.


This is the one my sister is leaning towards and I think it is because of the green in there....she loves green!!!


So cute....just love how bright and colorful these are!!


Here are all three of the tag blankies together.  They are about 16x16 inches and are perfect for a baby to love.


I just realized a few days ago that I start my orientation in less than two weeks and that means that I have to actually start buying baby stuff and getting ready for a little one in my home.  I have all kinds of ideas about what kind of nursery theme I want to have and it means that I have a lot of sewing to do :) I can't wait!!!


I got the pattern for the Tag Blankie from here.

2 comments:

Edda Soffía said...

Þú ert svo dugleg, uppáhaldið mitt er þetta með bleiku miðjunni og ljóst í kring. ;-) auðvitað.
Love mamma

Edda Soffía said...

Þú ert svo dugleg, uppáhaldið mitt er þetta með bleiku miðjunni og ljóst í kring. ;-) auðvitað.
Love mamma